Sunday, June 25, 2006

To teacher trainee who want to know about teaching English in junior high scool students

Thursday June 22,Mr.M came to ETM3 and lectured on the way of teaching English in junior high school.He is a English teacher of junior high school.So he told us his experience of teachig English with a suspicion of humor.
I learned many things.Especially,I was impressed two things.So I would like you to give some important information based on Mr.M's lecture.
  1. Teacher should give students many activites for acquiring the ability of speaking, writing,reading,and listening within 50 minutes.So teacher should devise efficient,effective,attractive activities.
  2. Teacher should set goals.*Needless to say, goals should be clear and achievable for children.

6 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger Maruchan said...

Hi, gakusei.
I also think goals should be clear and achievable for children. Good point!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger aNne said...

yes yes yes! im an ALT in iwate and my JTEs RARELY use variety in their teaching styles. my students are bored and dislike english class because of it. by doing a listening/speaking/writing and reading activity in EVERY class, all students will be challenged and become better english speakers! use many activities and VARIETY! good luck to you!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger 13 Weeks said...

Hi, I am an ALT in a junior high school in Iwate too. I think an important point is that students get to practice their English with a native speaker, even if it is only a simple sentence. I think it means a lot to the student if something they have practiced hard is understood by a native speaker - it gives the student confidence. Good luck!!

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger gakusei said...

Hi,anne,thank you for commenting on my blog!!
I'm agree with you.We have to use variety teaching style.We Japanese can live in Japan without using English(I think it's very shortsighted.).It's the cause of low motivate for English.
So we have to devise teaching style to attract students.

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger gakusei said...

Hi,13weeks.thank you for commenting on my blog!!
Yes,as you know,No Japanese English teachers can speak English like native speaker.We Japanese can speak English with good pronounciation.So we have to rely on native speaker.
Besides, Japanese tend to be shy.To get good at English,we have to free ourself from being shy,I think.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Steve Jang said...

Hello. I'm an ALT in Iwate prefecture. I agree with what you learned from Mr. M. The world needs more teachers like him! It's important to keep the students' minds busy with thoughts of English for 50 minutes. Instead of giving a boring lecture on present perfect tense (現在完了), during which within 5 minutes some students' minds will be busy with thoughts of what's for school lunch! And yes, the teacher should prepare easy-to-understand, purposeful, and nice-looking materials for class!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home